Monday 5 May 2008

Suprises with the Law.....


On Saturday, between our work with MEXIKIDS and the youth at our church, we were out driving Gary's car getting something to eat. On our way back we were stopped by a policeman at traffic lights and told to move to the side of the road. The Police Force in Mexico has been known to be notoriously corrupt and we were a bit worried to say the least. The car had lapsed 3 days over it's verification period, and we were in a bit of trouble. I called Christian to inform him, and the policeman came and asked me to get out of the car. At this point they normally ask for a bribe to let you on your way. So with both of us praying hard at this point, Jonny got out.

To our surprise the policeman asked why we were wearing matching canary yellow shirts. We informed him that we were from N. Ireland, we worked in a church here with kids, and were Christians. He asked about our church, our doctrinal beliefs (I haven't a clue how I explained this in Spanish!!) and also where our church was. He then asked me to see my Bible, which is in English and Spanish, and for a piece of paper. I returned to the car completely confused, and asked a distraught Julie for my Bible and some paper.

When I returned he said he was a Christian, and he would let us off if we went straight home, and got the car verified. He also gave us his address and phone number and asked if we could come and teach him more about the Bible!

So this week we are going to get in touch with him, and he has invited us to his house. Please pray for him as it must be very difficult to be a Christian in the police force in Mexico. More importantly we praise God for this very strange opportunity to disciple a fellow believer.

No comments: